A manifesto setting out policies to improve the lives of LGBTQ+ people.
For pride month, we have written this paper looking at improving the lives of LGBTQ+ people. This includes changes in areas such as education, legal changes, Justice, health, housing and the economy and Jobs. This paper concludes:
- We will protect the rights of gay people and we will enhance them by abolishing the ‘gay blood ban’.
- We would enhance transgender rights by ending the spousal veto, reforming the GRA to allow self-identification, and ensuring that transgender people have fair access to social housing in Northern Ireland.
- We support removing gender markers on legal documents.
- We would introduce a scheme similar to Finland’s housing first scheme in the UK. Part of the reason for this is that homelessness disproportionately affects LGBTQ+ people
- Support local councils and devolved bodies in creating accessibility grants as, currently in the UK, there is a lack of LGBT+ venues that are fully accessible to those who are disabled.
- We would Ban Conversion Therapy for all LGBTQ+ people, Relationship and sex education that includes LGBTQ+ issues where there is no ability for parents to opt their children out and reform the census so that data on the amount of LGBTQ+ people is collected.